Monday, December 2, 2013

Thanksgiving Weekend...

Cameron and I spent Thanksgiving weekend together as Doug was in the states visiting Dougie at his Mom and Stepdad's house in Cleveland. It has been such an adjustment to have Dougie away at college, but when it is just Cam and I it feels strange all around. I suppose thats what happens when you have kids. They won't be there forever. Lord help me when Cam goes to college! Anyway, Cam and I decided to venture off on our own to experience a German Christmas Market for the first time. I was a little hesitant as I don't like to drive here but we went to Mainz. I have driven though a couple times with Doug so I felt confident I could manage without any major mishaps. We had a good time. Our mission was to have some tasty treats and we did. Although I would have liked to have some gluwhein (mulled wine) I just had to settle on buying some bottles of wine. I meant to make it last, but dang, this German wine is so good. 

The 36' Christmas pyramid that was home base for  Cam and I if we were to get separated. Thankfully, we were not!

Nativity scene with life-sized figures made of limewood.

Cam and his bratwurst. By the way, that is a half. Good thing we didn't order the whole one. 

Douglas store. Of course I had to take a picture of that. 

We left the busy market to explore some of the side streets.  


On our little expedition on the side streets of Mainz we came across this hidden cathedral. 

We were pleasantly surprise with what was inside! 


No comments:

Post a Comment