Saturday, July 13, 2013

Playing Tourist...

Growing up in the Black Hills I have a real aversion to tourist destinations as I had to deal with out-of-towners and it can be a big pain in the rear. My idea of a vacation spot typically includes some sort of seclusion, which I believe is a result of growing up here. However, it provided me with a job every summer since I was 15 and is the main source of revenue for this area. 

Yesterday the boys, along with my Mom, and I headed out for some tourist/site-seeing fun. We first went to the Cosmos which is supposed to be some magical gravity hot spot in the hills. I'm pretty sure the house that was built at an angle along side a steep hill has nothing to do with it...wink wink. None the less, the awkwardness caused me to have vertigo which then triggered my motion sickness. I kept my cookies down, but I didn't feel well afterwards. 

We then headed into the hills for a scenic drive and a little rock climbing. We went on a wilderness loop and managed not to see ANY wilderness. Must have been too hot. 



This is Cam standing up straight beside the cabin

The Cosmos transformed Cam into Superman


Since we drove right by Mt. Rushmore, I thought I would snap a picture to add to the hundreds of other pictures in my collection. 

See the tourists!

My boys

This was the best part of their day. Climbing and scrapping knees!



This is the Needles Hwy. 

The Black Hills, sadly all the brown patches are dead trees from the infestation of the pine beetle. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah! Good to see you enjoying some family time! The Black Hills and Mt Rushmore are always great! I feel like you do about tourists! How soon before you head to Europe? The sites there will be wonderful! Terry Day

    ReplyDelete